- Everything I have is an undeserved gift from God. I wouldn't even exist if it weren't for God's grace. The next breath of air I take is a gift of God.
- I don't know what God knows and I can't see what God sees, so I should learn to trust Him.
- Life on earth is unfair because of sin, not because of God. Our rebellion against God has broken everything on the planet. This isn't heaven, where everything works perfectly. Nothing works perfectly here.
- God sent Jesus to save us from the judgment day when He will balance the books, right all the wrongs, and administer justice.
- It was not fair for Jesus to die in my place for my sins. But He did.
Monday, April 15, 2013
The Purpose Driven Life - Day 41
Day 41 - The Envy Trap
Today's chapter discusses the sin of envy and how it is the inevitable downfall in our own life. If we are not satisfied with what we have - we will not be satisfied with more. It goes on to quote several bible verses on the topic of envy and refers to the commandment of not coveting they neighbor.
I was preparing to do my daily write-up. Until I came to the section on gratitude. Instead of asking "Why don't I have ______." ... We need to ask "Why am I so blessed to have_____." In the background I have CNN on the TV - voices and images of the suffering in Boston after today's bombing attacks on the attendants of the Boston Marathon.
I then began to read a section that made me rethink my entire posting for today. I think we all know that envy is a sin. We all know the commandments and what they say. I am going to transcribe a part of this chapter as it touched me so deeply on this day. And I don't think it is a coincidence that I am reading this particular passage in this moment.
The next time you start to rant about God's unfairness to you, remind yourself of these facts:
"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." - Proverbs 14:30 (NIV)
May God Bless and Keep you.
Kiss your loved ones tonight.