And here we are, February 1st. Can you believe that we are at the beginning of the second month of 2013 already? It seems that the older we get - the faster time goes by. I personally think that the reason for this is because when we are young we have no concept of time. Our lives are mapped out for us. We wake up, we go to school, we come home, we have dinner, do homework, watch some TV, have a bath and get ready for bed. When we are young time seems to drag on. I know that when my daughter was born I could not imagine a day when she would be grown. And in what seems like the blink of an eye she is about to be 23 years old and living on her own. I now look back and wonder - where did the time go?
I still remember as if it was only yesterday how the world was in an uproar about the new millennium, and all of the horrible things that were going to happen. My own mother was stockpiling water for the event! And here we are thirteen years later - already! Crazy!
Nonetheless, here we are, February 1st. So, lets take a look at what February has in store for us.
In Canada, February is the coldest month of the year. (Not looking forward to that!) But it also happens to be the shortest month of the year - only 28 days, except on leap years when February has 29 days, such as it was in 2012.
February, like every month, holds celebrations and days, which are worth our observations.
- Black History Month.
- Heart Health Month
- Groundhog Day - February 2nd. A tradition in North America where groundhogs will come out of their burrows and according to folklore; if they see their shadow - it determines that there will be six more weeks of winter. However, if they do not see their shadow, then it is presumed to be an early Spring.
- Chinese New Year to be celebrated on the 10th. 2013 is the Year of the Snake, so if you were born in 1917, 1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977, 1989, 2001 or 2013 - then this is your year!
- Mardi Gras otherwise known as Fat Tuesday, celebrated in New Orleans and is known as the end of the Carnival Season. Observed this year on February 12th
- Ash Wednesday this year will be observed on the 13th and marks the first day of Lent, which occurs 46 days before Easter.
- Saint Valentine's Day - February 14th is also known as the Feast of Saint Valentine. Traditionally the day in which couples celebrate their love for one another with tokens of affection. Also, and not so coincidentally the day of the year when roses will triple in cost!